Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami), FNCS, FBCS, FIIM, MCPN, Director General Chief Executive Officer (DG/CEO) of the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) and the Chief Information Officer of Nigeria, has been conferred with the ‘Most Valuable Public Personality of the Year Award’ by the International Centre for Comparative Leadership for Africans and Blacks in Diaspora in conjunction with Accolade Communications Limited.
Over the years, The African Par Excellence Award which is in its 12th year has recognised and appreciated Africans and Nigerians. In line with the award’s principles, The award was in recognition of the DG’s boisterous efforts invested in making Nigeria a better place and Africa as a whole.
The DG’s leadership in NITDA brought about a paradigm shift and an unprecedented achievement in the history of Nigeria’s IT sector. Some of these laudable achievements that gave precedence to this award include:
1. Activation of NITDA’s IT Clearing House status that focused on to ensure efficient utilization of public resources, to prevent duplication or superfluous projects, development of local content and to ensure shared services are used where possible as well as prevention of failed IT projects while encouraging better project outcomes. The process captured over 750 IT-specific projects of Federal Government and resulted in saving over 16 Billion Naira.
2. Enforcement of NITDA’s Guidelines on Local Content Development as well as Presidential Executive Orders 003 and 005 that resulted in an unprecedented increase in the patronage of locally assembled devices as well as IT Service Providers.
3. Creation of business-friendly regulations that facilitated the establishment of AfriOne as an Indigenous IT company and an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in 2017. Few others are in the final stages of registration.
4. Enforcement of the Data Localisation Regulation that resulted in the repatriation of substantial data assets of the Federal Government previously hosted outside Nigeria.
5. Strategic capacity building initiatives that resulted in the empowerment of Civil and Public Servants, Artisans, Women, Unemployed Youth and People Living with Disabilities.
The African Award Par Excellence is an international accolade to sons and daughters of Africa resident in Africa and in the Diaspora to appreciate and celebrate their exceptional and unique contributions to the enhancement of the destiny of Africans.
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) is a Federal Government Agency established in April 2001 to implement the Nigerian Information Technology Policy as well as coordinate general IT development and regulation in the country. Specifically, Section 6(a, b & c) of the Act mandates NITDA to create a framework for the planning, research, development, standardization, application, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and regulation of Information Technology practices, activities and systems in Nigeria; and render advisory services in all information technology matters to the public and private sectors.
Hajiya Hadiza Umar, MNIPR
Head, Corporate Affairs and External Relations
Corporate Headquarters, Garki – Abuja
June 30, 2019