The Growth and Employment’ (GEM) project is an initiative of the Federal Government, World Bank, and DFID to increase firms’ growth and employment in Nigeria. The project seeks to achieve economic diversification, increase overall competitiveness, increase investment (domestic and foreign) and sustainably increase jobs (especially higher value jobs) for Nigeria.
It aims to achieve these objectives through various actions to improve market access, market intelligence, policy change, supply chain management, branding, standards, cluster investments, workforce (certifications, skills), producer-marketer collaboration and investment in technology.
The GEM program is focused on industries with high growth and employment potential and which provide a fertile ground for successful intervention. The choice of industries was based on two criteria:
- The potential to offer strong improvement in terms of growth, employment and spill-over (cost discovery and economic linkages);
- The feasibility of successful intervention in terms of ability to bridge the competitiveness gap, likelihood that policy failures could be addressed and the presence of a private sector able to address market failures.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) was considered to be one of the key sectors that could achieve the desired outcomes. GEM has Strategically Partnered with the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) and other Industry Stakeholders to implement key ICT Skills Development Programs as identified by the Industry Cluster Group.
Objectives of the GEM-IBM-NITDA Emerging Technology Training Programs include:-
- Preparing Beneficiaries with skills that ultimately make them gain sustainable employment or become Entrepreneurs.
- Equipping young Nigerians who have studied ICT related courses with the skills they need to monetize their knowledge
- Harmonizing participants prior learning with the skills they will be taught in the areas of social media, project management and critical thinking as well as problem solving
- Training Candidates on Key ICT Skills.
- Mentoring Candidates on key technical and entrepreneurial Skills
- Assist Candidates gain experience through getting placements with Industry Stakeholders.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Create social media campaigns,
- Understand personal branding,
- Understand how their skills can add value and how to monetize this value,
- Understand how to use a number of IBM tools,
- Have access to on-the-job training and work experience,
- Access IBM platforms and
- Participate in IBM critical thinking training that is usually undertaking by multinational CEO’s
General Candidates/Beneficiaries Selection Criteria
Our ideal candidates should have adequate knowledge of the Internet, they are outgoing, strong problem-solvers, out of the box thinkers, possess strong logical reasoning abilities and are not scared to work in a challenging and fast paced work environment. The candidates need to be willing to commit to a one year program if selected for phase 2
In addition, they must possess the following:
- University graduate with a degree in Information Technology, Computer Science and/or other related internet marketable fields
- Must have graduated within the last 4 years and have at least a first degree in an ICT related course and have a proven interest in innovation
- Have basic technical skills such as coding, software design, website or app design or other technical ICT related skills
- Knowledge of programming languages such as PHP, C, C#, Java, .NET, and Visual Basic, etc
- Exposure to Mobile Application Development.
- Must have completed at least 1 technical Internship program/ Industrial attachment.(IT related)
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated outstanding level of professionalism including ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Superior interpersonal skills including courtesy, professionalism, and a cooperative attitude
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
Submission of Expressions of Interest (EOIs):
Prospective Candidates should visit https: http://bigportal.org.ng/gemict for further details and registration.
Note that registration closes two weeks from date of publication which is Monday January 09, 2017.
Growth and Employment (GEM) Project
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
Block G, Room 225
Old Federal Secretariat
Area 1, Garki
Tel: +2348039265356 or +2348057763523
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted